The Annual General Meeting & WCYR Board Elections for 2018 will be held Sunday, March 18th, 2018 at the Newmarket Lion’s Community Centre – 200 Doug Duncan Drive, Newmarket – from 1:00-2:00pm. Registration for the AGM is free. We encourage all members to come out and vote for your board and have a say in the leadership of the WCYR.
Our regular monthly meeting with guest speaker Barbara Trendos will follow the AGM at 2:00pm. If you would like to stay for this presentation, please register HERE.
About the AGM and Elections
As the WCYR grows and evolves, we are seeing changes in our membership. To compliment this growth, we are open to changes in our leadership. The Board wants all WCYR members as a community to have a say in how we are governed, and who is making the decisions which will direct its future. As a result, elections are coming up this March.
A newly revised Constitution for the organization, along with By-Laws, are now available HERE.
Revised descriptions of the Board positions, along with other volunteer positions, are now available under the “about the wcyr” tab. Please have a look. Whether you have a few hours every week, or can volunteer to aid with setting up meetings, any help is appreciated. If you are interested in helping out or running for a Board position, please click here for a full description of the election process. If you are not currently a member, but want to volunteer, please click here to join the WCYR. All positions are up for consideration and multiple contenders for each job are welcomed and encouraged.
Here are a few quick things to consider about running for a Board position:
1) It is a 2 year term
2) You will receive your membership free after 6 months as an active board member. You will continue to do so for as long as you hold a position on the board
3) You will be required to attend one Board Meeting per month, usually the Wednesday night after the monthly seminar, from 6:30 to 8:30 pm.
4) You will be encouraged to attend as many monthly seminars as possible to help bolster and reinforce your Board position
5) You will be trained and do not require a background for any Board position other than Treasurer
6) You will determine your own hours/set your own schedule as necessary to complete your Board-assigned tasks
7) You will have a vote on all WCYR matters and a say in the future of the organization
8) To qualify for consideration as the Board Chair (or to act as Co-Chair with a colleague), you need to have first volunteered as a WCYR team member
Note: Board members can hold more than one volunteer team position, but only one Board Position at a time
The Nomination/Candidate Process
Nominations for Board Positions must be submitted to the Secretary (Nanci Pattenden) between February 1st – February 25th. Details about how to register your intent to run can be found here.
The Annual General Meeting and Election will be held during our regularly scheduled seminar (A Self-Publishing Success Story with Barbara Trendos) and will be free to attend. Anyone staying for the seminar after the AGM will need to register for it as per usual or pay at the door. We want to encourage all our members to attend so that their vote can be counted. Please note that there will not be an online vote.
We look forward to seeing everyone there!
If becoming a Board Member sounds like too much of a commitment, take a look at the team-member volunteer list, which can be found here. There are many ways to help and contribute to the WCYR community, big and small.
We look forward to seeing everyone for the elections.
The WCYR TEAM
- WCYR AGM
March 18, 2018
1:00 pm - 2:00 pm