WCYR meetings and workshops are your opportunity to network with your colleagues, hear a dynamite industry speaker talk about some aspect of the writing/editing/publishing/ marketing distributing world of books, and to just get out of your garret and hang with other writers for a few soul satisfying hours.
What to expect at a WCYR meeting
Expect to meet a wide spectrum of writers! Our membership includes people who are just dreaming about writing, closet scribblers, committed amateurs, and seasoned professionals. We have bloggers, non-fiction writers, romance novelists, freelancers, children’s writers, poets, and writers of historical fiction. No matter what your interest in writing is, you are welcome to come and take part.
- Double check when the event starts. WCYR meets and workshops do not all start at the same time. Most meetings begin at 1:00pm, but some meetings begin earlier or in the evening.
- As the doors open, we offer pre-event networking. Grab a cup of coffee or tea and take a few minutes to meet some of the other community members. You can browse the member book table, or take a look through the lending library.
- We also Celebrate Your Success by sharing your writing related news with other members. This could be anything from finishing a first draft to entering a contest. We’re all here to bolster each other and share in this odd experience of writing.
- Next we have group announcements, a raffle (occasionally), and an early-bird draw (if you register early for the next meeting you can win a free meeting or event).
- Our guest speakers or workshop leaders are chosen for their knowledge and experience in the writing and publishing industries. We have had the privilege of hosting a wide variety of experts including successful novelists, editors, agents, publishers, and creative writing teachers. Check out our Upcoming Events for a list of current speakers.
- Please note: WCYR meetings are strictly for ages 18+. Teens from grades 7-12 are welcome to join our youth group at wcyork.ca/writenow.