Benefits of membership
The goal of the Writers’ Community of York Region (WCYR) is to function as a hub for individuals and groups of authors, poets, playwrights, screenwriters, technical writers, journalists, business writers, networkers, editors and supporters of the written word. Please note: due to the fact that some of the materials read/discussed may contain mature themes, content and language, we have established a minimum age of 18 years as eligibility for membership.
Our Youth Group (WriteNow!) is open to writers from grades 7 to 12.
Click HERE to learn more about us and our initiatives.
Membership also gives you privileges at with the Durham Region Writers’ Circle and our professional partners.
Our home location is the Newmarket Public Library. The meeting cost will be $15 for registered WCYR members and $20 for non-members. At the door fees are subject to change. Attendance will be by advance registration.
As A WCYR Member You Receive
For your annual $50 membership fee to the Writers Community of York Region, you will receive:
- $5 off monthly WCYR meetings and WCDR meetings
- Receipt of our Newsletter
- Discounts for WCYR-sponsored workshops
- Networking (meet other writers, editors, readers, publishers, and booksellers) – build your contacts regularly
- Opportunities to promote your creative writing through reading events
- Opportunities to promote workshops that you offer on the WCYR website, social media, and newsletter
- Discounts for WCYR-sponsored workshops & retreats with local writing-related businesses
- Opportunity to gain a publishing credit and be paid for writing a blog post for the WCYR’s Easy Writer Blog
- Periodic updates on calls for submissions, contests, and news about the writing world
- Opportunities to promote your books at meetings and book-related events
- Opportunity to run a member-led workshop and earn credits toward your writing CV
- Opportunity to be a WCYR Board Member or Member at Large and earn credit toward your writing CV
- Opportunity to place your books on consignment at the Cardinal Press bookroom in Newmarket (an exclusive WCYR engagement)
- Access to a directory of writing groups/circles in the Region
- Access to a Lending Library featuring writing-related books
- Access to WCDR article submission for the Word Weaver online magazine
- Access to a members-only online facebook group for discussions on writing, events, critiques, and more
- Inclusion in a publicly accessible directory of members on the WCYR website — to post your bio, published work, and professional skills, along with a link to your website, blog or Facebook account
- A website badge/icon from WCYR for promoting your membership on your website/blog