Benefits of membership
The goal of the Writers’ Community of York Region (WCYR) is to function as a hub for individuals and groups of authors, poets, playwrights, screenwriters, technical writers, journalists, business writers, networkers, editors and supporters of the written word. Please note: due to the fact that some of the materials read/discussed may contain mature themes, content and language, we have established a minimum age of 18 years as eligibility for membership.
Our Youth Group (WriteNow!) is open to writers from grades 7 to 12.
Click HERE to learn more about us and our initiatives.
Membership also gives you privileges with the Writers’ Community of Durham Region and our professional partners.
Our home location is the Newmarket Public Library. The meeting cost will be $15 for registered WCYR members and $20 for non-members. At the door fees are subject to change. Attendance will be by advance registration.
As A WCYR Member You Receive
For your annual $50 membership fee to the Writers Community of York Region, you will receive:
- $5 discount from events admission fees
- A discount to participate at book-selling events (including The Bookshelf book fair)
- A discount to attend the York Writers’ Conference 2021 in October
- Opportunity to be on the board and help shape the future of the WCYR
- Inclusion in WCYR online directory of writers and authors
- Ability to promote yourself on WCYR social media & in our general newsletter
- Opportunity to promote published books at our live events
- Receive discounts on local retreats and workshops via participating partners
- Opportunity to be professionally published on WCYR Easy Writer Blog
- Access to lending library
- Information about local writing groups
- Ability to submit a proposal to facilitate a Member’s Only Workshop
- Ability to attend up to 4 free Member Only Workshops per season
- Volunteer opportunities (Board of Directors & Member-at-Large positions)
- Ability to apply for educational/professional development writing grants
- A website badge/icon from WCYR for promoting your membership on your website/blog
- Join weekly virtual write-ins Sunday mornings or Monday evenings