The process of electing representatives to help run our organization is new as of 2018. Prior to this, the WCYR relied on willing volunteers to come forward whenever a Team position became available. Previously, positions were held indefinitely until someone chose to pass on the torch.
Below, you will learn more about the election process: who is your current board; what positions are open; who can volunteer; how to run for a board position; how to vote.
As of 2018, the Board of the WCYR is interested in elevating our organization to include open elections. In future, we may look into becoming a registered not-for-profit, and when that time arises we’d like to already have instituted certain procedures.
AGM & WCYR Board Elections for 2022: Online Vote due to Covid-19 Restrictions & Safety Concerns.
All current WCYR members are encouraged to attend the Annual General Meeting during the first hour of our April 24, 2022 Monthly Event. This portion of the meeting is FREE.
If you wish to stay and listen to our speaker during the second portion of the meeting, you must register in advance.
Click HERE to read our Constitution and Bylaws.
The Election Process Q&A
Q: What are the Board Positions?
- Chair/Co-Chair (formerly President)
- Membership Coordinator
- Programming Coordinator
- Special Opportunities Coordinator
- Click HERE to see our current Board
- Click HERE to see who is running for 2022 (candidates will be added up to March 30th)
Q: How do I submit my intent to run?
- Click HERE for more information.
Q: How long is a term?
- 2 years.
Q: What will be expected of me?
- That you will be able to attend one Board Meeting per month (usually on a Wednesday closest to the 15th).
- That you will set aside a certain amount of time per week/month to be able to adequately fulfill your elected duties.
- That you will attend general Sunday Events whenever possible to aid in their running.
- That you will act as a spokesperson for the WCYR and help encourage both members and friends in their writing-related endeavors.
- Click HERE to read more about Team Member Duties/Jobs
Q: Why should I volunteer to be a Board Member?
- This is a great way to build your writing CV/portfolio.
- You help steer the direction of the organization in real-time.
- You’re helping keep a wonderful organization alive and successful.
Q: How do I vote?
- Attend the AGM (Annual General Meeting) held on Sunday April 24, 2022 from 1:30pm-2:30pm
- You will receive a Zoom link approximately one week before the meeting
- Listen to the platforms for any position with multiple candidates running for the same position.
- Choose who you would like to vote for.
- When prompted, raise your hand for the candidate you would like.
Q: What happens if there is only one person running for a position?
- The position will be awarded without a vote by acclamation (agreement) of those present.
Q: What happens if either a single contending candidate is not voted in or no one is running for a particular position?
- No one will be assigned to that Board Position at the AGM.
- The newly elected Board will meet to discuss how to fulfill the requirements for that job.
- An interim representative may be temporarily elected by the Board to help fulfill those duties.
Q: How long will this take?
- The AGM portion of the meeting may run anywhere between 10 – 30 min.
- The Elections portion of the meeting may run anywhere between 5 – 30 min.
Q: What is an AGM?
- An Annual General Meeting where the previous Board of the WCYR brings focus to the events/activities we’ve participated in or contributed toward over the past year. We let you know about our supporters/sponsors, our partnerships, and a little of what to expect in the coming year.
- This is our way to keep everyone informed about how we’re spending money, what we’re spending it on, and what we are actively doing to maintain/improve the organization.
- A community forum where you can share your ideas for the future and discuss best-practices.
Q: Why should I attend?
- It is vitally important that as a member of this organization you have a say in who is running it and how it’s being run.
Q: Is there an online AGM/Election?
- No, not at this time. Perhaps in the future we might be able to open an online voting window the morning before the meeting, but we are not yet technologically ready to include this option.
Note: The WCYR Board has not settled on a permanent online voting option but will be employing an emergency option during the COVID-19 crisis.
Q: What if I can’t make it? Do I lose my vote?
- Unfortunately, yes. In our revised constitution and bylaws we require 1/3 of our members to be present for a quorum such as this. While we would love to be able to accommodate everyone’s needs, that isn’t possible at this time.