The process of electing representatives to help run our organization is new as of 2018. Prior to this, the WCYR relied on willing volunteers to come forward whenever a Team position became available. Previously, positions were held indefinitely until someone chose to pass on the torch.
Below, you will learn more about the election process: who is your current board; what positions are open; who can volunteer; how to run for a board position; how to vote.
As of 2018, the Board of the WCYR is interested in elevating our organization to include open elections. In future, we may look into becoming a registered not-for-profit, and when that time arises we’d like to already have instituted certain procedures.
AGM & WCYR Board Elections for 2020: Online Vote due to Covid-19 Restrictions & Safety Concerns.
All current WCYR members are encouraged to attend the Annual General Meeting during the first hour of our monthly seminar. This portion of the meeting is FREE.
*Note: We will not be holding an AGM this year but will endeavor to send out a missive updating all members should we be unable to meet by the end of June 2020.
If you wish to stay and listen to our speaker during the second portion of the meeting, we advise that you register in advance or come prepared to pay at the door — per usual.
Click HERE to read our Constitution and Bylaws.
The Election Process Q&A
Q: What are the Board Positions?
- Chair/Co-Chair (formerly President)
- Membership Coordinator
- Programming Coordinator
- Special Events Coordinator
- Click HERE to see our current Board
- Click HERE to see who is running for 2020 (candidates will be added up to March 30th)
- Secretary, Membership Co., Programming Co., and Sp. Events Co. must be current members who have volunteered as a TEAM member.
Q: How do I submit my intent to run?
- Click HERE for more information.
Q: How long is a term?
- 2 years.
Q: What will be expected of me?
- That you will be able to attend one Board Meeting per month (usually on a Wednesday the week following the general Sunday member seminar).
- That you will set aside a certain amount of time per week/month to be able to adequately fulfill your elected duties.
- That you will attend general Sunday member seminars whenever possible to aid in their running.
- That you will act as a spokesperson for the WCYR and help encourage both members and friends in their writing-related endeavors.
- Click HERE to read more about Team Member Duties/Jobs
Q: Why should I volunteer to be a Board Member?
- This is a great way to build your writing CV/portfolio.
- You help steer the direction of the organization in real-time.
- You get your membership for free after holding the position for 6 months.
- You’re helping keep a wonderful organization alive and successful.
Q: How do I vote?
- Attend the AGM (Annual General Meeting) held on Sunday March 18th from 1pm-2pm
- Sign in at the registration desk and receive a name tag.
- Listen to the platforms for any position with multiple candidates running for the same position.
- Choose who you would like to vote for.
- When prompted, raise your hand for the candidate you would like.
Note: For the 2020 Election members will receive an online ballot April 24 and will have until April 30 to submit online.
Q: What happens if there is only one person running for a position?
- The position will be awarded without a vote by acclamation (agreement) of those present.
Q: What happens if either a single contending candidate is not voted in or no one is running for a particular position?
- No one will be assigned to that Board Position at the AGM.
- The newly elected Board will meet to discuss how to fulfill the requirements for that job.
- An interim representative may be temporarily elected by the Board to help fulfill those duties.
Q: How long will this take?
- The AGM portion of the meeting may run anywhere between 10 – 30 min.
- The Elections portion of the meeting may run anywhere between 5 – 30 min.
Q: What is an AGM?
- An Annual General Meeting where the previous Board of the WCYR brings focus to the events/activities we’ve participated in or contributed toward over the past year. We let you know about our supporters/sponsors, our partnerships, and a little of what to expect in the coming year.
- This is our way to keep everyone informed about how we’re spending money, what we’re spending it on, and what we are actively doing to maintain/improve the organization.
- A community forum where you can share your ideas for the future and discuss best-practices.
Q: Why should I attend?
- It is vitally important that as a member of this organization you have a say in who is running it and how it’s being run.
Q: Is there an online AGM/Election?
- No, not at this time. Perhaps in the future we might be able to open an online voting window the morning before the meeting, but we are not yet technologically ready to include this option.
Note: The WCYR Board has not settled on a permanent online voting option but will be employing an emergency option during the COVID-19 crisis.
Q: What if I can’t make it? Do I lose my vote?
- Unfortunately, yes. In our revised constitution and bylaws we require 1/3 of our members to be present for a quorum such as this. While we would love to be able to accommodate everyone’s needs, that isn’t possible at this time.