National Novel Writing Month or NaNoWriMo starts tomorrow!
In this month-long goal to write 50,000 words, word-crafters across the world unite.
Here at the WCYR we like to celebrate with our own Mini-NaNo.
What’s that, you may ask?
Well, whether your plan is to write the full NaNo or just set your own personal goal for the month, the WCYR is here to support you. Every year, for the past seven years, the WCYR has held a Mini-NaNo, where you get to choose your own goal (anywhere from 1,000 words to 50,000+ words) for the month of November.
This is a member perk 🙂
On our writing support Facebook page, Word by Word, we work toward helping you achieve your personal writing goal by:
- Holding a declaration draw, where you can state your writing goal for the month of November, along with your form/genre(s) of choice, and automatically get entered to win a $5 Amazon gift card to put toward an e-book, or a discounted print book from one of our published members.
- Holding a survival draw, where you state how close you made it to your goal (same prizes as above) at the end of the month.
- Having an opportunity to discuss plot bunnies or characters that don’t listen, or celebrate a great session of writing.
- Sharing fun/funny/encouraging memes, and taking silly polls to bolster your spirit.
- Checking in once a week with a general update on how it’s going.
- Sharing favourite quotes from your work-in-progress (WIP) that can be turned into fun graphics.
- Joining us at our weekly write-ins for face-to-face support and comradery. Online: Sunday mornings, and Monday and Thursday evenings; In-Person: Monday’s 10am – 12pm at Cardinal Press Espresso Bar on Main Street in Newmarket.
We are always looking to include more In-person Write-Ins during the month of November so if you want to offer a single day or a weekly opportunity because you know you’ll be at a local café or coffee shop please reach out to Nanci Pattenden (email@example.com) and she will help spread the news on WCYR’s social media. It doesn’t matter if you live in/around Newmarket either 😉 Members of the WCYR live everywhere from Orangeville to King Township to Innisfil to Thornhill, Sutton, Uxbridge, and beyond. Members and non-members alike are encouraged to participate in our in-person write-ins.
We hope you’ll join us for some fun and personal accountability this NaNoWriMo season.
What’s Coming Up
Are you confused about when to show and when to tell? How much to say and what to describe to the nth degree of detail or pull back because you’re adding too much backstory or general information? Do you find yourself relying on the same sensory detail over and over again? If so, then this is the workshop for you. LEARN MORE.
There’s a whole new world of computer-generated art and text made possible by the latest advances in artificial intelligence. Want to cut through the hype and see what this means for your artistic practice? Interested in the possibilities of A.I. for illustrations and artistic experiments? Want to learn what NFTs and blockchain smart contracts can mean for novelists? LEARN MORE.